Wednesday, June 08, 2005

You’ve got a friend in me

I have a friend here that speaks English, of course she’s German and well on her way to knowing a third language, but I am no less proud of my own meager achievements (I actually understood the squawks of a 12-year old whining to her mother last night. I stopped what I was doing, picked up my left hand and patted myself on the back. It was quite the moment). She is a student abroad here for about 6 months and although she wouldn’t admit it right now, things are going well with the guy she moved here for and I think she may not actually be leaving at the end of that 6-month period. Anyway, so we usually catch up for a few minutes after my class every day. It’s a blessing and a curse to have a friend that speaks English, it could really hamper my ability to try and learn Spanish, but since I don’t really see her too often, I’m not inclined to fret over it.

It’s actually completely uncanny how quickly we became friends. We were introduced because we both speak English and within minutes, I knew we would be bosom friends. Dr. J does the same thing over and over, he pretty much only met Colombians in St. Louis until I moved there and has done the same thing in Columbia. People would ask me how he meets Colombians so fast … like it’s a part of Colombian culture, and I always explained that if we lived in a different county and we met someone from our own country, we would do the same thing and it wasn’t limited to Colombians. But I had no idea how easy it is to make those friends and how comforting it is. So I’m thankful for my little friend, she is a kindred spirit indeed.

1 comment:

Hachie Gal said...

where is your German friend from in Germany? what city?