Saturday, June 18, 2005

Moscas

Everything insect like that has the ability to fly here is referred to as a mosca (fly). If you inquire further, you can come across different names such as mosquitoes, fleas, etc. I’m one of those lucky people that is especially susceptible to the mosquito … I get it ... I’m sweet or different and rather delicious … I’m foreign cuisine. I think most gringos here are attacked by mosquitoes, but I really take it to the next level. I get at least four mosquito bites a day, and that’s down from about six or seven a day. Needless to say, my body has been covered by mosquito bites since the day I arrived, no matter how religious I am with the repellent. I think they like it when I use repellent, then they can bite me anyway, leaving their distinctive red swollen marks the size of the U.S. quarter, and snicker at my pathetic efforts to prevent it.

A couple of days ago the unthinkable happened when a mosca bit me on my face. Right there on the high point of my cheek. And I stomped around irritated about it for a day or so until last night when one bit me on the lip.

The lip.

Isn’t there some sort of unwritten code of agreement that thou mosquito shalt not bite thy prey on thy lip? Or even thy face? It happened while we were watching a movie on TV and luckily it was dark and no one see that the left side of my bottom lip was three times the size of the right. I already stand out enough here without having facial features like botox gone awry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the lip . . . hum that rings a bell with another of your travel stories. I am beginning to see a pattern.
~jb

Anonymous said...

the lip, hum . . . that reminds reminds me of another "lip travel" story. I am beginning to see a pattern.
~jb