Saturday, May 14, 2005

Esta lloviendo

That would be that it is very, very wet outside, and I have the afternoon in. I’m in a horrible mood having nothing to do with the rain, but I am falling behind in the log of my journey so I will persevere. On top of that, I just realized that the hem fell out of both legs of my new Capri jeans proving the age old saying of, you get what you pay for.

We went to Dr. J’s aunt’s apartment last night and returned extremely early for a Colombian party – I think we were home by 11:30 or so. People around here really party. And I do mean, par-TAY. The last time I was here, I think I went to sleep during at least two parties because I just couldn’t say up any longer. And those of you that are shaking your heads because I always get tired early, it was about 3 or 4 a.m. when I was sleeping on the couch or floor or wherever I made myself comfy. Anyway, last night was tons of fun – good food, good company. His Aunts and Uncles really vary in age, therefore his cousins do also. There is a group of cousins about my age and another group about 15 years younger. His cousins that are close in age to me are great people and tons of fun – lots of them speak quite a bit of English. So the Spanish challenge is getting them to stop practicing their English with me so I have to speak in Spanish. The breaks are nice though. I got tons of offers to come and stay with them or go out with them if/when I get tired of staying with the in-laws. I will take them all up, not because I get tired of my in-laws (who have been just amazing!) but because it will be fun.

I never really get tired of speaking in Spanish (yet) because we constantly run into people that want to practice their English. And if I don’t know a word and I say it in English, chances are there is someone standing nearby knows that word and translates it for me. Not really a good thing for learning since I’m not forced to come up with something, but it really cuts down on the headaches. This is another reason why the class will be good for me. Did I mention it’s a one-on-one class? Good stuff.

Problem number two is that I seem to be satisfied with having countless conversations with myself in my head, so I’m not really listening as much as I should be. It’s so easy to just withdraw into my own little playground and just let the unrecognizable murmur fade out. I think my English is suffering too though. I keep writing sporadic words in Spanish. Sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could read the Spanish note to parents about getting their records updated in their child's file with their current address . . . I was sooo proud.