Tuesday, August 23, 2005

As in ... Go Cocks!

I would like to publicly answer a question that was posted on this site. Given the answer, I believe it is important that it be given our undivided attention.

The mascot for USC (no, the other USC ... on the east coast) is the Gamecocks. Like a rooster. Interestingly enough, their rival is Clemson (who the Ags are going to beat the hell outta come next Saturday!!) Tigers. I don't think any of us lay awake at night wondering whether a rooster would actually stand a chance against a tiger, but there are those here that seem to think otherwise. Maybe that's why they call it a cock instead, so you don't realize you're wearing poultry on your jersey.

And yes, there is much paraphenelia here that reads simply, "COCKS". I saw a skinny little freshman girl running around with that very phrase tatooed across her behind on a pair of rather skimpy athletic shorts she was wearing. Is she aware of the message she's sending out, or is she just that naive?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always wondered about that. I mean seriously how weird is this whole "cocks" thing. It sort of sends me into fits of pre-pubescent giggles. Like when you heard the word hell on TV and yelled H - E - Double Hockey Sticks.

Hachie Gal said...

Thanks for answering my question re: the USC mascot. I suppose I could have looked it up on the internet, but it did not occur to me. Besides, happy to provide fodder for the blog.

Hachie Gal said...

OK...can I copy you? I LOVED your football section. Don't kill me if I shamefully steal your idea, although my teams certainly have nothing to brag about....