Sunday, April 13, 2008

The dinner party that crosses cultural lines ... or maybe just generations

I made this dessert for a dinner party on Friday night. Occasionally, all the Colombians in town gather. I pass a few hours fumbling through my rugged Spanish and trying not to embarass myself during the evening. It wasn't exactly formal, nor was the dessert, and I've been short on time because of the online classes and houseguests. Which is why I made something simple, and just barely in time for it to be cooked before we had to leave.

The dessert was something similar to lemon squares, harder crust on the bottom, softer layer on top, in spite of the rush I took the time to sprinkle it with cocoa and powdered sugar all over the top. I wanted to cut it into squares, but short on time, we took it as it was in the 9 x 13 cooking pan. As we were going through the buffet to get food, the hostess wanted to cut it, but said she was worried about cutting the pan. I was worried too when I turned around to see her about to dig in with a 12" steak knife. I told her that no, it was soft, and a normal dinner knife would be able to do the job. Either she didn't own a normal dinner knife, or she disagreed with me because the next thing I know is that she has flipped the entire dessert upside down onto a cooling rack instataneously putting a 9" x 13" dusting of cocoa and powdered sugar on the countertop. The soft topping was moments away from gravity turning the whole thing into pressed garlic.

What did I do? What would you do?

3 comments:

Ashley Beth said...

I don't know what I would do. I'm in suspense! What happened next?

Missy said...

I actually had her put it back into the original pan. Then I asked where her silverware drawer was so I could get a dinner knife. But I felt like an idiot and like I was treating her like a child. Should I have just let her destroy it by trying to cut it upside down like she did???

Ashley Beth said...

No. I think you did the right thing. I'm surprised it didn't fall apart while she was turning it upside down. That would have been such a waste!